Friday, July 3, 2020

Around Reykjavik: Iceland trip Day 2

After catching the bus to Reykjavik I spent the day around the town. 

On arriving at Rejkjavik I immediately liked those houses in the centre with corrugated steel walls painted in bright colours. The main pedestrianised street, Langevegur, had various things painted down the middle and a variety of shops and cafes each side. I checked out my plans at the Tourist Information, where I was directed to a lady who knew about the trails I was planning to walk. Still a certain amount of wet snow around it seemed. I felt a bit guilty as I suspected that these tourist information places made their money by selling tours, which I was not planning to buy at the moment as I wanted some flexibility in timing, not being familiar with the trails. I also visited the Settlement Museum, where I was the only person on the 11:00 am tour. Then it was the National Museum. So now I know quite a bit about the history of this small nation.

The good news today was that Britain's Foreign Office no longer advises against travel to Iceland. In addition for England at least it is not necessary to spend 14 days in quarantine on returning from Iceland. Hopefully Wales will follow suit. 

The only annoying thing today was that a restaurant wanted to see proof that I tested negative for Covid 19. Unfortunately the App "Rakning 19" does not seem to retain the test message. So I went to a different place to eat (Arctic char with veg, followed by chocolate torte). Back at my hotel, people were sitting outside at tables chatting, the sunlight glinting in the amber of their beer, although a little cool the locals were enjoying a Friday evening out.

Later: I emailed the testing people and they replied confirming my test was negative, with this evidence I hope I will not be turned away again.

Painted corrugated steel houses


Laugavegur



No comments:

Post a Comment

Iceland hiking: some comments

Iceland has some diverse scenery. Close to the line separating the European and American tectonic plates, where new land is being formed, th...