Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Back in Reykjavik: Iceland tour Day 28

A return to Reykjavik for the final days of my Iceland experience. 

Not wanting to miss my flight from Akureyri I was at the airport before it opened. Apart from the white dome of one of Iceland's ice caps, my window view from the plane was again obscured by cloud. 
First objective in Reykjavik was to get my hair cut. The lady who cut it said all the British people arriving recently had "crazy" hair, a result of the hairdressers in Britain being closed until recently due to the Coronavirus restrictions. She recommended I visit the new "Flyover Iceland" experience, apparently all the locals were. I took her advice. After two introductory audiovisual experiences the main event was a simulated flight over some of Iceland's scenery. An immersive experience with the screen wrapping around our chairs which swung this way and that as we "flew" through the landscape, appearing to fly straight into mountains before banking away at the last moment. Fine water spray added to the effect during close approaches to waterfalls. Hikers disappearing beneath my legs as we flew over them made me think this was a quicker way of seeing Iceland than my long hikes of the past few weeks, however the colours were too vivid and there was no rain so not the real thing!

I bought a few gifts for my wife and visited the Hallgrimskirkja, the church that looks like a white rocket on a high point near the centre of Reykjavik. The columns actually represent columns of lava.
As it was my final day in Reykjavik I enjoyed an expensive meal in the evening at the Kol restaurant. Like many such places it was full but they let me sit at the bar, which was fun as I could watch the bartender tossing bottles around in a theatrical manner as he made up various obscure cocktails. 

Hallgrimskirkja.

Inside Hallgrimskirkja  a sort of simple, modern take on perpendicular style architecture. 

View of Reykjavik from top of Hallgrimskirkja tower showing some of the coloured corrugated steel roofs and walls.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Iceland hiking: some comments

Iceland has some diverse scenery. Close to the line separating the European and American tectonic plates, where new land is being formed, th...