Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Skaftafell to Reykjavik: Iceland tour Day 13

A hike in the morning followed by the long bus ride back to Reykjavik. 

There is only one bus a day from Skaftafell to Reykjavik (or anywhere else) and none on Saturday. Fortunately today was Tuesday and the bus left at 13:50, leaving time for a 10 kilometre hike to the valley of Morsárdalur. The route I chose, based on the Cicerone Iceland guide went up over the hillside through small birch trees, pink geraniums and horsetails, still wet from yesterday's rain. After cresting the ridge the broad Morsárjökull glacier came into view. Once I reached the valley floor I could see another smaller glacier draped over the mountainside to my north.

The return path was over a barren plain of rounded stones and gravel, washed down by meltwater and floods from the glacier. Near the campsite I climbed to the old farmhouse at Sel. From there the multiple embankments built to keep the river and the floods from extending towards the campsite were clearly visible. The farmhouse itself, dating from the 1900's, was a simple affair, the bedroom with its cot like beds was located over where the cows were kept for warmth.

I nervously waited for the bus. If I missed it I would have to wait 24 hours for another one. Once successfully aboard, there were two changes to negotiate, one at the town of Vik, and another in the suburbs of Reykjavik to switch onto a local bus to the city centre. I reached my hotel after five hours on the road. One should not make the mistake of thinking Iceland is a small island!

Geraniums.

Mórsa valley.

The multiple embankments to the left of the river are flood defences.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Iceland hiking: some comments

Iceland has some diverse scenery. Close to the line separating the European and American tectonic plates, where new land is being formed, th...